Saturday, September 10, 2011

Being Married

It will be three months tomorrow. Three months of marriage. I feel like it has been longer, but in a good way. The biggest thing I have learned is that marriage will teach you how to be others centered better than anything. One of my hardest issues is that I sometimes I forget that I don't always have to be the strong one. It is ok if I don't know all the answers. God has given me an amazing husband and I need to remember to allow him to be a husband.
Is it easy? Not always. If it was easy the divorce rate wouldn't be nearly as high. I love that Nate and I took the time to go through pre-marital counseling, but that we are honest with each other. We talk about money, children, family, and God (not in that order) all the time. I think this allows to remain on the same page. We don't always agree, but we always come to an agreement.
For example, God has blessed Nate with a gift of finance management, and sometimes I have to be reminded about the difference between needs and wants. Jesus said that we will be taken care of. I have to rest in that. I have to trust my husband to meet my needs. After being single for so long I forget sometimes that there is another person in the equation, and I just do.
It is late and I haven't updated on what I've learned from being married, so here it is.
1. Others first makes life better
2. Jesus as your headship, makes putting others easier. In fact, I can't do it with out Christ. I couldn't do anything without Christ.
3. No is not a bad word. In fact, Nate and I are learning to say it. No we can't go, we are staying home. :)
Next post: Warrior Dash - Lessons from the battle field.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! This is part of what has made our marriage so strong. I think Premarital Counseling should be required, it starts all those difficult life changing conversations before you get married. The ones that often lead to divorce latter. Communicating with, caring deeply for, and compromising with each other is a must for any healthy relationship.

    ReplyDelete